170–176 John Street
170-176 John Street Building
NYC Landmark No. 0074
|Location||170-176 John Street, Manhattan, New York City|
|Area||less than one acre|
|NRHP reference No.||71000546|
|Added to NRHP||May 13, 1971|
|Designated NYCL||October 29, 1968|
170–176 John Street is a commercial building erected in 1840 facing Burling Slip (now filled in) on John Street along the East River in the Financial District of Lower Manhattan. It is one of possibly two surviving granite Greek Revival buildings in all of New York City.
It was originally known as the Hickson W. Field building; later, it was used as a ship chandlery and known as the Baker, Carver & Morrell Building. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
In 1982, the architects Buttrick White & Burtis added a floor to the building, and converted it to residential use.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in New York County, New York
- List of New York City Designated Landmarks in Manhattan
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 170–176 John Street.|
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "Archiplanet entry". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-07-07.
- Landmarks Preservation Commission report, accessed August 14, 2010
- White, Norval & Willensky, Elliot (2000). AIA Guide to New York City (4th ed.). New York: Three Rivers Press. p. 34. ISBN 978-0-8129-3107-5.