56 Pine Street
56 Pine Street
|Location||56-58 Pine St.|
Manhattan, New York City
|Part of||Wall Street Historic District (ID07000063)|
|NRHP reference No.||03000848|
|Added to NRHP||August 28, 2003|
|Designated NYCL||February 11, 1997|
56 Pine Street – originally known as the Wallace Building after its developer, James Wallace – at 56-58 Pine Street between Pearl and William Streets in the Financial District of Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1893-94 and was designed by Oscar Wirz in the Romanesque Revival style.
The building's facade consists of brick, stone and terra cotta and features colonnettes, deeply inset windows and rounded arched openings. The flowered panels and fantastic heads which embellish the building is "some of the finest Byzantine carving in New York."
The building was designated a New York City landmark in 1997 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. It is also a contributing property to the Wall Street Historic District, a NRHP district created in 2007.
- List of New York City Designated Landmarks in Manhattan below 14th Street
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Manhattan below 14th Street
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- White, Norval; Willensky, Elliot & Leadon, Fran (2010). AIA Guide to New York City (5th ed.). New York: Oxford University Press. p. 36. ISBN 978-0-19538-386-7.
- New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission; Dolkart, Andrew S.; Postal, Matthew A. (2009). Postal, Matthew A. (ed.). Guide to New York City Landmarks (4th ed.). New York: John Wiley & Sons. p. 14. ISBN 978-0-470-28963-1.
- Media related to 56 Pine Street at Wikimedia Commons