Chrystie Street is a street on Manhattan's Lower East Side and Chinatown, running as a continuation of Second Avenue from Houston Street, for seven blocks south to Canal Street. It is bounded on the east for its entirety by Sara Delano Roosevelt Park, for the creation of which the formerly built-up east side of Chrystie Street (the even numbers) was razed, eliminating among other structures three small synagogues. Originally called First Street, it was renamed for Col. John Chrystie, a veteran of the War of 1812 and a member of the Philolexian Society of Columbia University, and a new First Street was laid out above Houston Street.
In 1967, the Chrystie Street Connection—a major connecting line of the New York City Subway—opened; it is one of the few connections between lines of the (former) BMT and IND divisions. The B and D trains of the New York City Subway can be reached at Grand Street.
A protected two-way bike lane along Chrystie Street was built in 2016, replacing two older bike lanes that wove between the parking and travel lanes in each direction. It also directly connected the bike lanes between Second Avenue and the Manhattan Bridge.
The second African Burying Ground was located on the west side of First (Chrystie) Street, between Stanton and Rivington Streets, extending to the Bowery, after the African Burial Ground near Collect Pond was declared closed in 1794. In the 1820s St Philip's assumed ownership from the City Council, and when the cemetery was closed in 1853, remains were disinterred and removed to Cypress Hills Cemetery.
The settlement movement maintained a Settlement House there, where Lee Strasberg first became involved in the theater. Dorothy Day's Catholic Worker Movement continued this concept with one of their hospitality houses there; Michael Harrington frequented it in 1951/52 shortly after he moved to New York.
In popular culture
Chrystie Street appears in "59 Chrystie Street", the first section of the 15th track on the album Paul's Boutique by American hip hop group the Beastie Boys, released on July 25, 1989. The address in the title refers to an early residence of Beastie Boys group members.
In DC Comics' Doorway to Nightmare, Madame Xanadu (Nimue) lived on Chrystie Street, her doorway visible only to those in need of her services. It was sometimes misspelled "Christy," and was variously described as being in Greenwich Village or the East Village.
- The Synagogues of New York City
- "Subway Map" (PDF). Metropolitan Transportation Authority. October 21, 2019. Retrieved January 18, 2018.
- Hobbs, Allegra (December 21, 2016). "Chrystie Street Protected Bike Lane Is Complete". DNAinfo New York. Archived from the original on 2017-03-14. Retrieved 2017-03-14.
- D. Jeffreys, "About the Garden"
- Thompson, Slason and Taylor, Hobart C., editors. America: A Journal for Americans, Volume 2, 1889, page 235
- Rachel Wischnitzer, Synagogue Architecture in the United States, Jewish Publication Society of America, 1955, p. 48
- "Lee Strasberg", biography.com
- "Remembering Michael Harrington" by Maurice Isserman, Democratic Socialists of America, February 23, 2015
- "New venue: Dixon Place finally gets its official grand opening" by Chris Schonberger, Time Out, December 2, 2009
- "Is the Box Still Edgy?" by Melena Ryzik, The New York Times, October 28, 2007
- The Story of Yo, Spin, 1998
- "Peter Parker's apartment, On the Set of New York
- Doorway to Nightmare #1-5; Madame Xanadu (vol. 1) #1
- Media related to Chrystie Street (Manhattan) at Wikimedia Commons