Division Street (Manhattan)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Division Street is a one-way street in the Two Bridges neighborhood of Lower Manhattan in New York City. It carries westbound traffic from the intersection of Canal Street and Ludlow Street westward to Bowery.
The street dates back to before 1789. Its namesake is the division it marks between the street grid patterns on either side of it.
The portion of Division Street under the Manhattan Bridge is used for a mall called the East Broadway Mall. There is a car park at Market Street (formerly Florence Place) and next to it is the PS 124 Yung Wing Elementary School. The school is part of a residential complex called Confucius Plaza. At this point, the street widens. Buses to Flushing and casinos park on the right side. There used to be a greenmarket until it moved to the space under the Manhattan Bridge on Forsyth Street between Canal Street and Division Street. East of Bowery, there is a statue of Confucius. At Bowery, most of the traffic gets diverted to the Bowery, Chatham Square, and the Manhattan Bridge.
Points of interest
- Seward Park (on Canal and Essex Street)
- Confucius Plaza
- Agia Barbara (on Forsyth Street)
- Eldridge Street Synagogue (on Eldridge Street)
- East Broadway Mall
- Imperial Ballroom Dance Studio
- The RBA Group/Urbitran Associates (2006-09-29). "School Safety Engineering Project: FINAL REPORT: P.S. 124, Yung Wing School, Manhattan" (PDF). New York City Department of Transportation - Office of School Safety Engineering. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-05-29. Retrieved 2007-12-29.
|This article relating to roads and streets in New York City is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|