Gallatin Bank Building
|Gallatin Bank Building|
|Location||34 Wall Street, New York|
The Gallatin Bank Building was constructed in 1887 on a plot at 34 Wall Street in the Financial District of Manhattan, New York City for the Gallatin National Bank. It was enlarged from an original plot bought at 36 Wall Street when the bank was organized in 1829. The purchase price was $12,000. Originally called National Bank, the name was later changed to Gallatin because of its association with the family of Albert Gallatin. The architects were Cady, Berg & See.
The Gallatin Bank structure, which opened in 1887, was built for the Gallatin National Bank on land purchased after the resignation of bank president James Gallatin, in 1868, and the beginning of the term of his successor, Frederick D. Tappen. The edifice endured for forty-two years and was the home of important financial firms. The Gallatin Bank Building was one of the most distinguished establishments on Wall Street from the late 19th century through the second decade of the 20th century.
- "New York Bank History - National Bank History - Bob Kerstein, Founder".
- "Razing Buildings on Wall Street". New York Times. 1929-05-12. p. RE1. Retrieved 2009-09-05.