Liberty Street (Manhattan)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Liberty Street is a street in New York City that stretches east-west from the middle of Lower Manhattan almost to the East River. It borders such sites as One Chase Manhattan Plaza, the Federal Reserve Bank of New York Building, 140 Broadway, One Liberty Plaza, Liberty Plaza Park, the World Trade Center, Brookfield Place, Gateway Plaza, Liberty Park, and the North Cove marina. A FDNY Firehouse, Engine Company 10 and Ladder Company 10, is located at 124 Liberty Street, directly across from the World Trade Center.
Before the American Revolution, Liberty Street was known as Crown Street. Crown Street consisted of the present Liberty Street and the present Maiden Lane between Liberty and Pearl Streets. The name was changed to Liberty Street in 1793, with the part east of the junction being added to Maiden Lane.
The western portion of the street was extensively damaged by the September 11 attacks. This section of the road, adjacent to the South Tower of the World Trade Center, was crushed by debris and blanketed with dust and smoke when the building collapsed at 9:59 a.m. The Deutsche Bank Building, located at 130 Liberty Street, sustained heavy damage that morning and was later demolished. Other buildings on Liberty Street were also ravaged by the events. The Burger King on the corner was used as a temporary NYPD headquarters in the days following the attacks. The World Trade Center site has since been redeveloped as the new World Trade Center.
Media related to Liberty Street (Manhattan) at Wikimedia Commons
|This article relating to roads and streets in New York City is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|