Madison Street (Manhattan)
Madison Street is a two-way thoroughfare in the Lower East Side of the New York City borough of Manhattan that begins under the Brooklyn Bridge entrance ramp and ends at Grand Street. It is roughly sixteen large city blocks long. Due to security measures implemented after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, public access to the part of the street before St. James Place is restricted. The character of Madison Street changes from block to block. There are housing projects east of Pike Street. Between Catherine Street and Pike Street the street is residential, dominated by mostly tenements. The street is considered one of the southern boundaries of Chinatown.
The Hamilton-Madison House, at 50 Madison Street, is a major provider of child care for the Chinatown, Two Bridges, and Lower East Side neighborhoods. Madison Street is surrounded by housing projects, tenements and schools. PS 1, PS 2, and the Corlears Complex schools all have yards facing the street. There is also a medical facility with clinics and pharmacy facilities (Gouverneur Health Care Services) at 227 Madison Street; it was formerly a major hospital with emergency care facilities. The other major pharmacy in the area is Chatham Chemists at 5 Madison St.
The F and <F> trains stops at the East Broadway station, and there is an exit at Madison Street. The M22 bus runs eastbound on Madison Street from Grand Street to St. James Place, and westbound from Grand to Pike Streets. The M15 bus runs on Madison Street from Pike Street to St. James Place.
- Saulny, Susan. "Park Used by Police Since 9/11 Is Given Back to Chinatown", The New York Times, April 17, 2004. Accessed December 31, 2007.
- Go NYC web site Neighborhood Guides page on Chinatown. Accessed January 2, 2008.
- Hamilton-Madison House official web site. Accessed January 2, 2008.
- United Neighborhood Houses official web site Archived 2011-08-25 at the Wayback Machine. Accessed January 2, 2008.
- Gouverneur Health Care Services official web page. Accessed January 2, 2008.
- Chinatown Drug Stores web page Archived 2007-12-01 at the Wayback Machine. Accessed January 2, 2008.
- MTA Lower Manhattan bus map. PDF file. Accessed December 31, 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Madison Street (Manhattan).|
- Madison St storefronts Pictures of storefronts along Madison Street