St. George's Syrian Catholic Church
|St. George's Syrian Catholic Church|
|Location||103 Washington Street|
Manhattan, New York City
|Built for||Immigrant tenants|
|Restored by||Harvey F. Cassab|
|Owner||Chapel Moran, Inc.|
|Designated||July 14, 2009|
St. George's Syrian Catholic Church is a former church located at 103 Washington Street between Rector Street and Carlisle Street in the Financial District of Manhattan, New York City. The church is the last physical reminder of the Syrian American and Lebanese American community that once lived in Little Syria.
Originally three stories tall with a peaked roof, the structure was built c.1812, and by 1850 was being used as a boardinghouse for immigrants; an additional two stories were added on in 1869. In 1925, the building was purchased by George E. Bardwil, a textiles importer, for the use of the Syrian Greek Catholic church, organized in 1889 to serve the Syrian- and Lebanese-American community in the Little Syria neighborhood, also known as the Syrian Quarter. Four years later, Harvey F. Cassab, a Lebanese-American draftsman, was hired to create a new facade for the building. His neo-Gothic design in white terra cotta with a polychrome relief of St. George and the Dragon remains intact.
After World War II, the Syrian and Lebanese population in the area declined, in part because the community was destroyed to make way for the Brooklyn–Battery Tunnel ramps. The Eastern Mediterranean community later moved to Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn. The church briefly became a Roman Rite church, and then became disused as a church. In 1982 the building was bought by Moran Inc. and was turned into an Irish pub. The pub has now closed, however the building is still owned and maintained by Moran Inc.
- Caratzas, Michael D. "(Former) St. George's Syrian Church Designation Report" New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (July 14, 2009)
- Media related to St. George's Syrian Catholic Church at Wikimedia Commons