University of Pennsylvania School of Arts and Sciences
|Motto||Leges sine moribus vanae|
Motto in English
|Laws without morals are in vain|
|University of Pennsylvania|
|Dean||Steven J. Fluharty|
|College Dean||Paul Sneigowski|
Formerly known as the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, SAS is an umbrella organization that is divided into three main academic components.
The College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) is Penn's undergraduate liberal arts school. The Graduate Division offers post-undergraduate M.A., M.S., and Ph.D. programs. Finally, the College of Liberal and Professional Studies (LPS) is Penn's non-traditional continuing and professional education division.
The 1755 charter of Benjamin Franklin's College of Philadelphia paved the way to form the College of Arts and Sciences, which was originally for men only. In 1933, Penn established the College of Liberal Arts for Women, which was meant to provide women with a formal liberal arts education to women rather than one designed specifically for teachers. Female education remained formally separate until 1974 when it merged with CAS, LPS, and four social science departments in the Wharton School to form the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. This was renamed the School of Arts and Sciences two years later.
The Graduate Division's origins date back to 1882 when Penn first appointed faculty to form a philosophy department. Penn first began offering courses for teachers in 1892, paving way for the eventual founding of the LPS school, which was originally called the College of General Studies.
Research at SAS is funded by the Center for Undergraduate Research and Fellowships (CURF), as well as the University Research Foundation.
- Center for the Advanced Study of India
- Henry Lamar Crosby
- Herman Vandenburg Ames
- University of Pennsylvania Economics Department