University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)
|University of Pennsylvania|
3800 Spruce Street,
The University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, commonly referred to as Penn Vet was founded in 1884. It has two campuses; the main campus is located in Philadelphia, and a second campus is located in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. At the Philadelphia campus, first-, second-, and third-year veterinary students attend classes. It is also the home to numerous research facilities as well as the Matthew J. Ryan Veterinary Hospital, a veterinary teaching hospital. The school's second campus, New Bolton Center, is located on some 700 acres of rural Chester County, Pennsylvania, is home to the George D. Widener Hospital for Large Animals.
Over 6,000 veterinarians have graduated from the school, the only veterinary school in Pennsylvania. The school awards the Veterinariae Medicinae Doctoris (VMD) degree rather than a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM). It also offers a VMD-PhD program and a VMD-MBA program.